Make sure that windows is up to date.
Sometimes, Windows Updater will block the installation of new software until it has finished updating your Windows software. If you have followed all of the steps, but there is still no COM port appearing in the Arduino software, follow these steps to see if your computer is updating.
- Navigate to "Start"--> "Control Panel".
In the Control Panel, navigate to "System and Security".
- Within System and Security, navigate to "Windows Update".
- You'll see here if you have any updates to install. If no updates are available, then your computer is up to date! Otherwise, it may help you to install the recommended updates. Click "Install Updates".
- Depending on the number and type of updates, the download and installation process may take a while. Your computer may prompt you to restart it when the updates are finished.
- When your updates are complete, you'll see a message. Now that your computer is up to date, you should close and re-open the Arduino software and try step four again.